Trying Too Hard For Credibility: Bonds "The Pant" Ads

I'm sure most young Melburnian's will have seen the new Bonds ads about town - they're literally everywhere. If you haven't seen them yet, I've got some samples posted below.


"The Pant" as it's called is Bonds new trackpant which are a long drop-crotch style with a slim fitting leg, a lot like some guys skinny jeans and TSL is even selling them as the "Jean Trackie".

There's another version of the ad that has the top and bottom images spliced in half so one side shows the guy in his leather biker jacket and the other in his singlet, with sleeve tattoo exposed (which is the ad I'm talking about). At first glance, it looks pretty cool.

But yesterday when I saw it for the fiftieth time at Richmond Station I noticed just how fake the tattoo looks on the guys arm. That's not really a problem in itself, but it seems to me that in a bid to be "cool" Bonds is trying a little too hard for credibility. It's really not necessary and I don't think that it's successful in the long term because all the young people I know switch off and think you're an old gimpy loser the moment you (i.e. a brand) starts trying too hard to be cool in their eyes. You're better off doing what you do, than trying to show us splitting images of ourselves that aren't really "us".

I wish I could say that I won this battle, but I had already fallen prey to their coolness campaign and bought a pair of these late last week. For the record, they're pretty comfortable. I'm wearing them now.

Fail.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What I like doing is going on Facebook and deleting the sponsored ads by clicking the X on the ad. Facebook then ask 'tell us what you think, why didn't you like this ad' and i pick: OFFENSIVE.

I do this for a good 20 min, on every ad that comes up, I don't even look at the actual ad.

I do this because I like fuking up Facebooks and the Advertisement's statistics. So that the advertisers have to change their advertising 'approach' because it is offensive, when really, it isn't.

Just another act of a Mad Dawg.

Peace- Practice and Process

Dr Beat said...

I've seen that model in a few other campaigns over the last year or so. That's his real tattoo. I think he's in a Lee print campaign at the moment. Only recognised him because of the tat as the way the flowers get cut off where it reaches his wrist stripes annoys me.

Post a Comment

top