When To Go With Your Gut Feeling

I wish I had some statistics to back this back up but I'm just going to go with my gut feeling on this one ...

That's it. That's my question.

How often do marketers now rely on an instinctive/gut feeling of what they think will work? I mean, with the huge range of online and other means of studying consumers and what they want, sometimes for whatever reason you can't put all of that into action or you don't want to 'cause it may prove to be a waste of resources. When this happens, do any of you ever wing it?

1 comments:

jdaphl said...

This is also a prevalent question in the ethics of advertising where there are few hard and fast rules, just grey fluffy 'codes'. Marketers must make decisions every day about whether ads are appropriate - do you remember Jim Beam's 'The Stalker' campaign?

http://www.marketingmag.com.au/news/view/jim-beam-s-stalker-tvc-pulled-664

I can imagine someone in a boardroom deciding that he/she thought it was hilarious at the time and going with that gut feeling. Look what happened there... Or else it was a concerted decision to drum up publicity.

By the way, this. blog. is. the. best =) ...and I have ethics on the brain!

Post a Comment

top